Our programmes rely on our amazing team of volunteers, who give their time and their energy to make a difference and build bridges where they live.
If you would like to volunteer with us in any of our programmes which have vacancies we would be delighted! Dates and times of upcoming training sessions can be found on this form
Training is 3 hours and covers:
- Bridges for Communities – what we do and why
- Information about the different projects you can volunteer with
- Guidelines for volunteering with Bridges for Communities including safeguarding, trauma, confidentiality, culture, language,
- Specific guidelines related to the project you have chosen to volunteer with
Basic DBS checks and references are required.
Here is a bit more information about the projects available to volunteer with….
- b.friend: (Lots of volunteers needed) Volunteers give 1.5 - 2 hours a week to spend time with and welcome an asylum seeker or refugee who is isolated in Bristol and is referred by another agency. This project works with asylum seekers of all nationalities, as well as families who are resettled by the City Council. We are always looking for new volunteers to join the befriending project. If you have children, and would like to include them in your volunteering, we can often accommodate this on our befriending programme.
- NEW! Task volunteer: (Lots of volunteers needed) Volunteers give 1-2 hours a week to support a refugee family with tasks they need to do – supporting them in that task but also guiding them towards independence. For example, helping with forms they need to fill in, and teaching them how to do it themselves next time. Help with job applications, managing appointments, liaising with schools etc… Support will be given for this role, and volunteers will be assigned to a local ‘hub’ of volunteers, working with or alongside other volunteers in their area and supporting refugee families in their area. We are looking for lots of volunteers to join us in this new role….could you join in?
- Walk With Me: A few volunteers needed to help with a once a month group walk, usually at the weekend. Each walk will be in a different location around Bristol, and will be linked with a local organisation or group of people.
- Stitching Together: (New volunteers needed) From time to time, new volunteers are required to help run the weekly sewing classes which meet in central Bristol. Some experience of sewing is helpful, but not essential.
- Local events: (A few volunteers needed) such as Peace Feasts, Welcome events & Sharing Festivals events: Volunteers help to organise events that bring people together from different backgrounds. These events take place roughly monthly, usually at the weekend, and volunteering can involve stewarding, serving food, preparing the venue, cleaning up at the end etc.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK ABOVE TO SIGN UP FOR TRAINING – WE LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU THERE!